Safety

SAFETY

How do I properly handle dry ice?

Dry ice in its natural state is extremely cold at -109.3°F or -78.5°C. When handling dry ice always use due care and attention, along with the proper protective clothing and gloves. When touched briefly, no injury can occur, however; a severe skin burn is possible if handled too long. Fraser Valley Dry Ice can provide insulated bags and containers for the handling ease of your Dry Ice. Never leave dry ice around children unattended.

How do I properly store dry ice?

Where possible, store all dry ice in an insulated thick plastic container. The thicker the insulating on your container, the longer your dry ice will last. To avoid the risk of a pressure blast, NEVER seal dry ice in an absolute air tight container. The sublimation of Co2 solid (Dry Ice) to Carbon Dioxide gas could cause an airtight container to expand or possibly explode. Ensure all storage areas are properly ventilated. We have all heard the term “warm air rises” and this is no different with dry ice. As dry ice dissipates the cold air (co2 gas) goes downward pushing the warm air (Oxygen) up. In air tight working areas, this could cause suffocation and kill you. Do not leave dry ice on countertops or other surfaces as the freezing temperature of the dry ice can cause the surfaces to crack.

What about ventilation?

Always use dry ice in a well ventilated area. If you are transporting dry ice in your passenger compartment of your vehicle, be sure to leave windows down to allow the dissipating Co2 gas to escape.

What should I do if I burn myself with dry ice?

A dry ice burn is similar to a heat burn. Use an antibiotic ointment to prevent infection and only bandage the actual burned area of your wound. If you start to blister or skin starts to detach, seek medical attention, otherwise, your burn should heal normally after a couple days.

How do I dispose of dry ice?

Place the dry ice outside, or in a well ventilated area and allow it to dissipate into a gas.